Cannot start BITS service
Asked by Chandradeep Dey on 10/16/2013 at 2:35 AM
Recently when I started Nero ControlCenter on my laptop running Windows XP Service Pack 3 with all updates installed and opened the Update tab of the program, it said Nero Update is not available. I googled for it and found that the Nero Update service was not running which was mandatory for the Update/Online Options tab of Nero ControlCenter . When I manually tried running the service it gave me an error saying "Could not start the Nero Update service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." There were two dependencies of the service, the first one was Remote Procedure Call (RPC) which was running correctly, and the second one was @%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000 which was not running. When I tried to start it, it said "Could not start @%SystemRoot%\system32\qmgr.dll,-1000 service on Local Computer. Error 1290: 0x50a". I then googled for qmgr.dll and found a few fixes for the BITS service. I tried the Microsoft Fix It tool on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-in but nothing happened, so I tried the 'Let me fix it myself' section and nothing happened as well. Then I tried the fix from http://www.philmorgan.net/techie-tools/windows-update-bits-background-intelligent-transfer-service-fix-batch-file-for-windows-xp and again the result was nothing. I don't want to reinstall Windows XP(and all the updates) as after a few months its going to die(but I want to use it till the end).
1) Some users on the Internet told that there were problems while using Windows Update when BITS stops but I had no problems starting the web page or checking for updates.
2) In most cases Internet Explorer starts with a message saying Internet Explorer had crashed last time but it never actually crashed.
No responses yet. Be the first one!
Can you answer these?
- Answer Vlookup cells by a specific customer only
- Answer Unable to switch to a microsoft account and windows updates are not installing.
- Answer Can't back up on 4TB External Drive with Windows 8.1
- Answer Computer wakes up during sleep and comes up with black screen
- Answer Windows RT - apps won't start - error: This app's package family has more than one package installed.