Ask A Question
0

Windows Updates KB2873189 and KB2769166

Asked by MalcolmSkewis on 03/11/2014 at 5:36 PM

About a year ago, I purchased an Asus S550C laptop that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. About a month ago, I began having troubles with the Outlook app in Office 365 crashing as soon as I tried to open it and at times this began to happen with other Office programs and Windows live mail. After a week of daily online repairs and reinstallations of Office and Windows Essentials, I decided to try refreshing my computer. This didn't work, so I decided to reset the computer to factory settings.

After doing this, I had a year's worth of Window's updates to install. This went smoothly until I encountered Updates KB2873189 and KB2769166. These failed continually both in automatic and manual attempts at updating. There were several error codes as I remember, but the most common one was 8007371B. I attempted a few of the solutions offered for the various errors, but as none were successful, I decided to hide the updates.

Yesterday, Windows Update automatically downloaded these two updates again and installation failed. After making another unsuccessful attempt at manual installation, I again hid the updates, because although they were tagged as 'important' they were not 'critical'. The error code for both updates was again 8007371B. I have had so many problems with Windows 8, I thought I would try updating to 8.1, but this was unsuccessful due to, I understand, one of these updates being installed.

The laptop was purchased March 2013 and came with Windows 8 preinstalled.

I do not have any third party anti-virus or anti-spyware software installed. The laptop came with McAfee installed, but I never activated it. One of the solutions suggested completely removing all trace of McAfee products from my laptop and I have done that, including the anti-theft software that McAfee provides for Intel. At one stage (BEFORE resetting the computer) I installed Spybot to check whether there may have been any malware that Defender did not detect, but according to it, there was none. It was uninstalled before resetting. I currently use Windows Defender ONLY.

There is no third party firewall installed.

The error number for both update failures is 8007371B.

I have tried installing the updates manually in a clean boot environment but this was unsuccessful.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

regards,

Malcolm

Responses

No responses yet. Be the first one!